This is the simplest potato and leek soup, a recipe that strikes me as medieval. It’s perfect for a hot summer day.
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons butter in a large pot
3 peeled and cubed potatoes
3 trimmed and chopped leeks
4 cups stock
½ cup or more cream
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pot.
2. Add the potatoes and leeks.
3. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring, until softened.
4. Add 4 cups stock. Boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Purée, then let cool. Stir in 1/2 cup or more cream before serving.
6. Garnish with chopped chives.